Experienced. Skilled. Compassionate.

Bring Your Fiancé(e) To The U.S. With Our Help

If you are engaged to a foreign national, you probably long to bring them to the United States to get married. However, this joyful goal is also fraught with many challenges, delays and red tape that can put your special day at risk. When you are interested in bringing your foreign-born partner to Minnesota, seek help from KB Law PLLC.

As a premier immigration law firm serving the Twin Cities region, we assist clients in resolving a variety of immigration concerns, including acquiring K-1 visas. Karen Bryan, our founding attorney, is also an immigrant – she understands exactly what you are going through and how to help.

Understanding The K-1 Visa Process

A K-1 visa allows American citizens to bring their immigrant fiancé(e) to the United States to get married. An American citizen must file the visa petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. You must also meet several other criteria, including:

  • Having no serious criminal history.
  • Having met your fiancé(e) in person physically.
  • Being eligible to marry.
  • Proving that you can support your spouse financially.
  • Marrying your fiancé(e) within 90 days of their moving to the U.S.

If your fiancé(e) already has permanent legal status, they do not qualify for a K-1 visa. In this case, you must get a CR-1, or marriage visa.

Fighting To Unite You With Your Loved One

To ensure that everything is completed correctly, you should have our immigration lawyer on your side assisting you. We have helped numerous fiancé(e)s immigrate to the U.S. successfully and get married. With our considerable knowledge of immigration law and our passion for helping immigrants, we do everything in our power to unite you and the person you love in Minnesota.

Helping You Learn About K-1 Visas

With so many details in the legal process, you could use an attorney to answer your questions. Our team members understand the law inside and out, so we can address any questions or concerns that come to your mind. Read on for answers to some of our clients’ most common questions about K-1 visas.

How long does it take to get a K-1 visa?

Everyone’s case is different. The length of time to obtain a K-1 visa can depend on the number of applicants, the speed of your consular office and many other factors. Most applications take several months.

How can I prove that I have met my fiancé(e) in person?

In addition to taking pictures of you and your spouse together when you meet, you can provide travel documents such as your flight itineraries, hotel room receipts and statements from your relatives.

What happens if we get married before we receive a K-1 visa?

Then, the spouse who is an American citizen must file a CR-1 marriage visa petition for their spouse. This is a new and different process; you cannot convert a K-1 petition to a CR-1 petition.

What can I do if my relationship involves domestic violence?

The Violence Against Women Act can offer permanent residency for immigrants who suffer domestic violence by an intimate partner. If the fiancé(e) who filed the K-1 petition commits abuse against the sponsored foreign-born fiancé(e), the foreign-born partner has the right to file an I-360 petition for relief. However, obtaining permanent residency this way is not easy, as an I-360 is not viewed as a substitute for a K-1 visa.

Learn More About Bringing The Person You Love To Minnesota

At KB Law PLLC, we understand the importance of bringing your fiancé(e) home to you. Work with our experienced immigration law team and we will strive to make the process as efficient as possible. Ask us for a free initial consultation by calling our Minnetonka office at 612-474-5649 or by using our online contact form.