Experienced. Skilled. Compassionate.

Reuniting Loved Ones Through K-3 And K-4 Visas

Bringing your spouse or child to the United States from another country can take months, if not years. If your loved ones do not yet have permanent legal status, you may wish to consider seeking a temporary K-3 or K-4 visa.

At KB Law PLLC, we help our clients bring their loved ones to Minnesota through K-3 and K-4 visas. Immigration law is dear to our hearts, as our founding attorney, Karen Bryan, immigrated to the U.S. from Jamaica. We explore all avenues available to bring your loved ones home as quickly as possible.

Which Option Is Best For My Family?

A K-3 or K-4 visa allows nonresidents to reside temporarily in the United States until they receive permanent status. Each option has fundamental differences:

  1. K-3 visas, also called marriage visas, allow the foreign-born spouse of an American citizen to move to the U.S. before they receive a permanent nonimmigrant visa.
  2. A K-4 visa permits a foreign spouse’s children to move to the U.S. while awaiting their permanent resident status.

When you speak with our immigration lawyer, you can discuss you and your loved ones’ circumstances in-depth. We have worked with clients from dozens of countries around the globe. Our legal team will help you take the steps needed to make your family complete.

Some Important Answers About K-3 And K-4 Visas

It can seem overwhelming to consider the many visas available for immigrants. Fortunately, we can answer any questions you have regarding temporary visas for foreign spouses and children. Take a look at the following answers to get started.

Who qualifies for a K-3 visa?

To petition for a K-3 visa successfully, the petitioner must be the spouse of an American citizen. They must also have their spouse file an I-30 Petition for an Alien Relative on their behalf.

Who qualifies for a K-4 visa?

A foreign-born spouse can bring their children to the U.S. through a K-4 visa if their children are under 21 years old and are not married. Their parents’ marriage must have taken place before their 18th birthday.

What is the Form I-30?

The first step in securing a K-3 visa is to have the spouse who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident file an I-30, also known as the Petition for an Alien Relative. This document establishes the relationship between the petitioner and a foreign-born relative such as a spouse.

What happens during a visa interview?

One of the most important steps of the K-3 or K-4 process is an interview with a consular officer at the U.S. embassy or consulate. You will need to bring certain papers such as your passport, marriage certificate, medical exam and evidence of financial support. The interviewer will ask you questions about your relationship with your spouse or children, your life growing up abroad and your future aspirations.

Discuss The Options For Temporary Visas – Free Consultations

Your loved ones might not be as far away as you think. By seeking the help of KB Law PLLC, you could be closer than ever to bringing them to the U.S. Contact our law office in Minnetonka to learn more about how we can assist you. Call 612-474-5649 or send us an email for a free consultation.